Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mother Nature Takes on the Mighty Mississippi

In the past year thousands of people all over the world have been affected by weather events.  We have seen Tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes and flooding.   Many compassionate, generous and empathic Americans have responded to help those in the middle of these tragedies. 

As spring is soon turning into summer, it doesn’t look like there is any relief in sight.  The latest and one of the worst weather incidents is taking place along the shores of the Mighty Mississippi. The flooding along the Mississippi River is taking its toll on land and people as it rages on.

This legendary river was one of the first bodies of water I learned about and was fascinated with in geography lessons as a child.  It seemed to me, a powerful wonder of nature, starting in the most northern region of our nation to the gulf coast states in the south, spanning 2320 miles.  Hundreds of thousands of Americans made their homes and some their living along this enormous stretch.  I remember what an achievement it was to master spelling its name - MI crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, hump back, hump back, I.  There are legendary movies, books and songs that come to mind at the mention of the Mississippi River.

As I watch the latest wrath of Mother Nature, a couple of things come to mind.  One is how life can change in a minute and another is the respect I have for elements beyond my control.  I also have to wonder why some areas have severe drought and others are inundated with water.  Unfortunately I have no answers to those questions.

Witnessing the pain of those impacted stirs my heart as I try to imagine choices and outcomes they are facing.  My work has taken me to every state the river runs through and my heart goes out to those living along the Mighty Mississippi who will have to rebuild their homes and lives.    This is not going to be a quick endeavor but we all can help in one way or another through prayers, contributions and physical assistance.  We are a nation that sticks together and helps our neighbors in tough times.  This is one of them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment