Thursday, August 8, 2013

Admit You Messed Up


Sorry About That – First Best Practice to Customer Service Greatness!


Since the beginning of time we’ve tried to cover our mistakes.  Remember the fruit and the garden?  In the business world owning up to a wrong-doing is absolutely the best road. Apologize first then carry on with the business transaction.

1.      Learn How to Apologize with Poise

If something goes wrong or when the customer perceives something went wrong, apologize. Be quick to do it.  When a customer blames or claims something wasn’t done right or to their satisfaction say something like, “I am so sorry if there has been a misunderstanding!”  “I am sorry that happened.  I can help you, tell me about what happened.”  “Let me see how we can get this turned around.”

I'm hosting a webinar that teaches apologizing with poise and more:


 
2.      Ask for Their Name, Use it Often! 
This is the key to the door of building rapport with customers!  When the customer states what they need you can say, “I will be glad to help you, may I have your name.”  Sometimes when you introduce yourself; customers will respond in kind.   If they have a name that is hard to understand, you could say, “Tell me how to say your name” or “Please spell your name for me”.  
When to use their name?   As soon as you obtain it!  And, when asking a question and always with a thank you!    Number one rule of customer service experts is to always ask their name before ever asking for an account number.  Using their name personalizes the conversation!

3.      Set Up Success for Obtaining Information You Need
Tell them you will need to ask questions.  It might sound like this.  “Mr. Jones, I will need to ask you a few questions, may I have your account number?”  It is like asking permission before barging into another person’s office.  Sort of the knock on the door to prepare the other person for what you are going to need.

4.      If you Need Approval to Make a Move, Clue the Customer In
Let the customer know this.  “Excuse me, Mr. Wilson, I need to take the next step on getting this resolved, I will be back shortly.”   “Mrs. Jenkins, excuse me, I need to verify what options are available.”
When you put a call-in customer on hold or step away when they are in person, always thank them for waiting when you return.  “Thank you, Mr. Wilson, for your patience, let me tell you what I found out.”

5.      Follow Through, Follow Up
  If you agree to do something, follow through on your word.  Call, write a personal note or email the customer and give them an update, let them know what is happening.  Remember to thank them for their patience and loyalty.

Put these 5 best practices into play and you will be on your way to nailing down customer service excellence.

Still learning,
Honey

P.S.  To learn more about customer service that pays off,  join me at my next webinar:

 



No comments:

Post a Comment