Thursday, June 20, 2013

Give Yourself & Staff a Performance Booster Shot

I get letters from all over.  I decided to share a note from one of my favorite bankers who is dedicated to professional development - for herself, as well as her team.  She learned to use the weekly report in my Supervisor Boot Camp a few years ago.  I am passionate about utilizing a weekly report.  Not everyone shares my passion but everyone who uses one knows the value of it.  Here's how I teach it. 

Every Friday by 3 PM, everyone turns in a weekly report to their supervisor.  It's basically an outline with the current date and the name of the individual completing it.  The outline contains   three headings, Accomplishments, Problems and Plans.  Under each heading, you list bullet points or key factors that are important to remember or vital to communicate to the boss.  The manager is to create one as well and share with all his/her direct reports.  The Weekly Report ensures communication and it provides tracking and accountability for both parties.  When I receive an employee’s weekly report, I like to write directly on it, offering my responses, copy the report and give it back to my employee.  Now we both know that we both know what went on that week.  

Here is what my friend, the banker sent me:
I have been using the weekly report with my staff since last year.  I have seen a decrease in what is in the reports and even them skipping completing them.  What suggestions if any would you have to re-stress the importance of the content and completion of these reports- outside of the obvious that I require it?

Here was my response:
Are they doing a "to do" list every day? 

I have always reminded my team that the "to do" list and calendar are the perfect tracking tools for pulling together the weekly report.

Manage by walking around and ask to see their daily to do list every day or every other day.  If they don’t have one, help them create one on the spot.  A to do list helps you focus and prioritize.  Helps you to not waste time or forget what needs to get done.

Ask them to do a quarterly summary (right now this week you could ask for a “first six months of 2013 summary”) of the their weekly reports and self-assess how well they think they did with regard to planning, problem solving and getting goals met and stuff done. Nothing is more motivating than to see what progress you’ve made or need to make!

Remind them the report is for them.  It empowers and enables them to track their success, to provide them accountability, credibility and planning.

The key to success is having a plan and executing it.  Act like a turtle.  Stick your neck out when you have to get where you are going.  Slow and steady.  Pull back occasionally, stay headed in the right direction, watch out for getting run over and you will get to where you are trying to go!   Learn to read the signs for when you need to step it up and when you need to kick it in gear and have a sense of urgency.  Responsiveness and persistence will pay off.  

Managers remember this; develop a culture that supports learning. Demonstrate by your actions that you believe continuous learning is vitally important. Invest some of your budget dollars in training and education. Consider a reimbursement plan for courses employees take through local colleges. Allow employees to click here to continue reading Ten Techniques for Developing Others!

Still learning,


Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment