Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Bank Training & Professional Development

How did we ever get somewhere we hadn’t been before without Google Earth or a GPS?  Oh, I remember, we used a map -- those impossible to refold paper maps that had a scale so you could take a ruler and mark up your route and measure your distance.  Now that’s really dating me.  Even my plug in the cigarette lighter Garmin is old hat.  Today, my Smartphone acts as my guide, navigating me here and there.  I really like it when the navigator alerts me when there are tolls so I can be ready to fork over my quarters or dollars and pay the price to travel the best route.  

When it comes to training, set your sights on your destination, map out the route and pay the toll.  Clear a path for training to become a rock solid contributor to your culture, efficiencies and bottom line.


Everyone invested in your bank hopes that the staff – from top to bottom - is well-trained.  Are you using hope and luck as your strategies for making training a priority or do you enjoy the comfort that comes with needs assessment, goals and a plan?  I am sure you would agree you need to rely on more than hope when it comes to people knowing how to do their job so that the bank can build a well-earned reputation for excellence among customers, regulators, peer, investors and the community.

Let me ask you this, at times do you find yourself thinking we sure are lucky that we have people who know what to do and how to do it?  Certainly, being grateful for the talent and skills of the staff is admirable and a best practice when expressed. However, should the hope and luck strategies crash, you will be even more grateful you aren’t working in a hospital!  Why wouldn’t the bank want to take the same stance as a hospital or a well-run restaurant when it comes to training?  Training is about preventing problems, solving problems, enhancing confidence and building collective and individual intelligence.

It’s interesting that there is a mandate for a bank to have a disaster recovery plan but not a plan for training and developing the staff.  Maybe now is the time to issue that mandate and ensure training and professional development become a top priority at your bank.  How do you do that?  Where do you begin? 
 
Join me in my next blog for more training direction!
 
Still learning,
 
Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment