Friday, January 13, 2012

The Power of Planning Series Third of Five

Spend time where it counts the most!   Priorities are what help you determine what to do first, second, etc.  Remember a calendar is for appointments, even if they are with you.  A “to do” list is an accounting of what you need and want to do.  You will need to use both every day. 

Find the best option for you to stay on top of both your calendar and your “to do” list.  Maybe your work/lifestyle is the perfect fit for all your contacts, to do list and appointments to be on your Smartphone.  Maybe the program on your computer that houses a calendar, to do list and contacts is your solution.  Find the right solution for you. 

Definitely these two power tools – calendar and to-do list - must be mobile.  You don’t have to shower with them or sleep with them, but any other time a best practice is that they are within an arms-reach.  I still use my paper Franklin Covey binder/planner.  I wouldn’t trade it.  I have tried to move away from it and my efficiency and organization has suffered for it so it is here to stay with me.   I pencil in appointments on the monthly tabbed page as well as the day sheet of the appointment.  Looking at what I am committed to by the month is imperative for me to stay on top of planning.


You might want to check out the planner options at www.franklincovey.com.  I prefer the 8 ½ x 11 Original-Monarch style and use the ring binder so I can hole punch timely, related documents like an airline reservation or a meeting agenda and have immediate needs all in one place.  Adding ruled paper for notes and a few of the forms Franklin Covey sells are favorites of mine.

I do have my Outlook calendar with business-related appointments so it is available to my work team, for scheduling meetings and it syncs to my Droid.   A key planning habit for me is to review my Binder calendar with the Outlook calendar every day. Building valuable habits like planning takes discipline and fierce determination.  Build it, it's worth it.

Plan for this to be your best year.  The year to have the time of your life!  


Still learning,


Honey

No comments:

Post a Comment